Monday, May 5, 2008

Ladyboy

My mind keeps flashing forward to the images I want to make in Thailand. I will call the series "Ladyboy" using 2 cameras I will shoot both color and b/w film. I want to do a series of close tight portraits with the Mamiya twin/flash and vibrant color film/paper. Then do stark 4x5 full and 3/4 shots in b/w and flash.

All that techno talk is one thing but what do I want to photograph? Who and what they are, what makes them tick, the joy, the sadness the reality and unreality of their person. I do not want to just do the sad look as I have done so much of in the past, want to rise past that into a truer visual understanding of who these people really are. To capture the complexity of their uniqueness and individuality should be the goal, to get that all into the portrait is what I must strive for.

It should be about myself plus my interpretation of the person. I need to say something about me in the people I photograph, my inner feelings should also come forth. I should interpret who they are but with the biased eye of who I am.

I am not making an objective documentary of that person, I am making a subjective interpretation of who they are through the eye of who I am.