Friday, March 28, 2008

Review: Eight Solos Part 2

Note: I do these reviews for my own personal education, I am hoping that by verbalizing my often confused thoughts : ) I can zero in on becoming a better photographer myself. All comments are directed towards photographs shown in a public gallery any negative comments are written in the spirit of suggestion and self improvement and are not meant as any kind of personal attack on the Artist.

Member 3:

I have seen this artists photographs on 3 occasions and have loved them each time. On those 3 different occasions there has been a variety of images in varied technique and subject matter, this guy gets it, he really understands what he's doing, looking forward to seeing more of his work at the next Mono Guild show. I would be proud to own some of his work (maybe a print exchange?).

Best Images:
Kathmandu, 2007
Porters, Chusang, 2007
Weaver's Son, Phole, 2005
Hindu Shrine, Suketar, 2005

All these works were breathtaking in their own way. This artist has the potential to create great work during his lifetime.

I did find the lith technique powerful but at times the reds(in the mountain photographs) was a bit to much for my tastes, they seem to take over the image instead of enhancing it.



Member 8 :

I had heard that the group had a portrait person involved in this show and was excited to see his work. I was disappointed thou in regards to the work shown, I admire the attempt to include people photographs in the show but I have to be honest and say that these images do not work for me. Doing type head shot compositions of semi interesting to uninteresting subjects just does not cut it in my books.

Richard Avedon said that when he searched for people to photograph he look for someone that could “HOLD A WALL” meaning that he looked for people that had the visual strength in their bodies and faces to hold the viewers attention on the photograph which was on the wall. I did not see that in this artists people selections, better subjects are necessary. Maybe do a series of portraits on a certain group of people that can hold his attention for years. You need to find some type of person that fascinates you and then become obsessed with transferring that obsession to film.

Study the work of the some of the great portraitists..

Richard Avedon (father, people of the American West, Vietnam)
Nan Goldin (abused harsh life of family, friends and self)
Dianne Arbus (freaks, twins)
August Sander (people of Germany)
Jock Sturges (naturists)

Portrait photography can be such a powerful force, the portraits I saw on display in this show were a disappointment to me.

Best Image:

Mary

Image had an unusual composition and treatment, found it effective. This type of abstract portraiture might lead to more good work in the future.