Sunday, March 30, 2008

Eight Solos Matting Technique

The matting from the Eight Solos exhibit was top notch. After their "Alberta" show I complained long and hard about the poor quality matting I saw (outside of member 1s work which I thought was exemplary). The overall matting this time around was basically as good as it gets.

Member 1 had a few issues with bad print cutting (Kicking Horse River) and uneven print mat borders (Flooded Pines), member 5 had a few small over cuts but outside of that I could not find fault. I am not sure if my previous critiques of sloppy matting educated the group to its importance, maybe.

Member 6 had very nice cut double over mats, tried to cut those myself before, its HARD! but these mats were cut beautifully. The double mat look is attractive but a bit overdone for my tastes.

The best matting style in my opinion was the work of member 5, it was simple and direct (just like in a real museum collected work). No fancy double mats, no black core mats just a windowed archival over mat laid over a photographic print and framed in black, simple direct and to the point.

I will follow member 5s lead and print my 2 photos for the upcoming VAAA show in the same manner (will probably sign and number the print on verso in pencil and NOT dry mount it, just place it gently and archivally under the over mat). The show should be about the print and only the print, matting and framing should be simple and tasteful."Let the photograph speak for itself" as the VAAA acceptance letter stated.