Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Critiques Why We Should Not Be Afraid

I think that many people for whatever reason are unwilling to accept a frank completely honest review of their work. I guess there is a certain fear most people have if they put their work on display, their is a vulnerability in doing that. Possibly because of laying yourself on the line and putting your work up for others to evaluate you also have your defensive systems on high. I feel that many times a person because they are in such a defensive posture will overreact to any criticism. They misinterpret any comment about their work as some kind of vendetta against themselves. A lack of confidence that we all share early on in our careers as artists no doubt contributes to this unreasonable fear of unbiased reviews of our work. I have felt the need to be overly defensive also but I think to improve as an artist you need this unbiased feedback. Take everything with a grain of salt both the good and the bad, remember IT'S JUST AN OPINION!, take the positive and negative comments the same way, think about them evaluate whether they mater to your work and then move on in YOUR OWN UNIQUE DIRECTION.

Do not be afraid of a honest appraisal of your work.

More later as I organize my thoughts and have time to write them out.